Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sigh of Relief

We had our NT scan the other day, at 12 weeks and 2 days.  I was so nervous going into the appointment, but was trying to remain calm and optimistic.  As soon as the ultrasound tech showed my baby moving on the screen, I gave a huge sigh of relief.  Baby’s heart rate was 173 beautiful beats per minute.  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted after this appointment. 

In addition to everything looking okay, the NT measurements came out great, as well.  The NT thickness turned out to be really close to 1, like 1.13.  So, both the tech and the doctor said that was wonderful and definitely nothing to worry about in terms of Downs Syndrome. 

Getting to see my baby moving around on screen and being generally uncooperative for the tech was one of the best days of my life.  I’m just so incredibly thankful that the baby seems happy and healthy so far.  Plus, we got 4 pictures to take home with us.  I also found out that I have an anterior placenta, and that it’s sitting in the top-front of my uterus.  And, that baby really enjoys hiding under it, which is why I’ve had so much trouble finding the heart beat with my fetal doppler.  This also means that I may have to wait a few weeks longer than other women in order to feel the baby move. 

There was also a blood work component to the NT scan, but I won’t find out those results until the next appointment.  Since all is well, my pregnancy is no longer a secret.  While I haven’t told my job or made a Facebook announcement yet, my husband and I are now starting to share the news with the rest of our friends and family (who haven’t already been told).  The rest of the world won’t be far behind!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Fouette, this is so exciting. I always felt like everything was fine but I too felt a sigh of relief that the NT scan confirmed it. I know you've been worried so this is great news. Hopefully now you can really relax and enjoy growing that healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete