Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bank Account = Sad Face

Now that we have a plan, I feel much more in control.  I feel as if we’re working toward something again. 

Thanks to the lovely ladies on a message board that I frequent, I was not completely oblivious to the expenses involved in assisted reproductive technology (ART).  But, it still hits you hard when you hear the costs for the first time.

We’re hoping to do our first round of Clomid + IUI in January or February.  While my Ob/Gyn and local hospital are slightly cheaper than an RE clinic might be, here are the anticipated costs for EACH cycle:

Office visit:  $200
Bloodwork:  $100
Ultrasound:  $250
Sperm Wash:  $150
IUI:  $250

These are the costs without medications.  Clomid is inexpensive, but other medications such as injectables can be additional hundreds or even thousands of dollars.  And, we will pay OOP for everything.  Luckily for us, most places will negotiate a cash discount or payment plan.

So right now, we’re looking at $1000 per Clomid + IUI cycle.  I hope (as does my bank account) that the first time’s the charm! 

2 comments:

  1. I really hope that your first IUI will be your lucky one! Happy Holidays!
    (this is Blueberries08:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Blueberries! I know that the IUI expense isn't initially that bad, I just am not looking forward to the possibility of multiple tries. I hope you have a happy holiday season, as well!

    ReplyDelete